Search for anything

Scavenge your bliss

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Easy Ways to Spot a Manufactured Product Sold as a Genuine


This Post brought to us by


Antoinette Matlins on Linkedin



Fake Ruby


I know it's like beating a dead horse, but I just had a call from another bench jeweler, from the Washington DC area,who was in tears because she "destroyed" the ruby in a ring she was re-sizing and has to replace it for the customer...I'm helping her, but the destruction of the ruby -- as most of you know -- had nothing to do with her; the problem was in the ruby itself, and the reaction of the lead-glass to routine bench techniques. 

Clearly there are still people who don't understand what these are and how they differ from traditionally "treated" rubies, and the risks they present in the marketplace. Even worse, I'm seeing appraisals from gemologists that are still describing them as treated rubies, with no mention of needing special care and valued as "treated ruby with glass" (in fissures and/or fractures).
So at the risk of being accused of self-promotion (rather than simply providing information some of you might be interested in having), I just want to let you know that the Fifth Edition of my book, Gem Identification Made Easy (Gemstone Press) just rolled off press 2 weeks ago. I mention this only because I've added an entire chapter on spotting and separating the lead-glass infused corundum products from "treated" material. It's an important distinction in light of GIA's decision to identify them as "manufactured products" ...at a time when they are being sold in unprecedented numbers at gem and jewelry shows globally as "treated" material. I describe them as a "new type of composite" and show their distinguishing characteristics.
And by the way, I'm seeing amazingly beautiful "blue sapphires" advertised on various internet sites at ridiculously low prices...and in some cases, when I search thoroughly enough for details on the particular piece, I find words such as "treated with heat and 'lead glass'"! I'm ordering today! I already have some lovely green specimens and yellow as well, and I've heard rumors that they are also showing up in deep pink colors.
These lead-glass products should be of immediate importance to all of us because of the high and increasing incidence of these "manufactured stones" being represented and sold within the trade simply as "treated"!

No comments: